What does an IT Business Analyst do?
An IT Business Analyst is knowledgeable in the fields of both information technology and business administration and is responsible for bringing the two areas together. They work within companies to develop and optimise IT systems that improve production, operations and workflow. They may also be responsible for improving and securing functions of networks, utilising new IT solutions to meet the growing needs of a company and working with various departments within the company to ensure relevancy and optimisation of various technological developments.
IT Business Analyst skills and qualifications
A successful IT Business Analyst candidate will have various prerequisite skills and qualifications to perform their duties effectively, these typically include:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to organise meetings and prepare clear software documentations
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to negotiate with multiple businesses and stakeholders to find solutions for technical challenges
- Excellent critical thinking skills and an open-minded mentality for new ideas
- Strong leadership and team management skills
- Excellent software development skills such as testing and designing
- Attention to detail and ability to maintain a high level of accuracy
- Excellent data analysis skills
- Proficiency in various computer applications
IT Business Analyst experience requirements
Employers require IT Business Analysts to have at least three years of experience in business analysis, software development or a related field. Some employers expect candidates to have several years of experience in information technology and in a supervisory position. Some employers also require candidates to have proven experience in business and technical requirements analysis, modelling, verification and methodology development. Additional experience in data visualisation techniques and data analysis is also essential to help in drawing business-related conclusions.
IT Business Analyst education and training requirements
The minimum education requirement for the position of an IT Business Analyst is a bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, information systems or related field. Candidates with certifications in business analysis or requirements engineering are also preferable. For more senior positions, some companies may prefer candidates with a master’s degree in IT or business administration.
IT Business Analyst salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average salary for an IT Business Analyst in the UK is £40,493 per year. This figure varies depending on factors including experience, education geographical location and company.
Job description samples for similar positions
If an IT Business Analyst is not quite what you’re looking for, here are other job description samples that may fit your needs: