Restaurant Waiter job summary
A great job description starts with a compelling summary of the position and its role within your company. Your summary should provide an overview of your company and expectations for the position. Outline the types of activities and responsibilities required for the job so jobseekers can determine if they are qualified, or if the job is a good fit.
Example of a Restaurant Waiter job summary
Our Thai bistro is seeking a friendly Restaurant Waiter who can deliver excellent customer service while memorising our menu and daily specials. The Restaurant Waiter will be responsible for taking food and drink orders from customers, and then delivering those orders to the proper people in the kitchen or the bar. If you have previous experience as a Server in a popular restaurant and a dedication to providing excellent service to customers, we want to hear from you.
Restaurant Waiter responsibilities and duties
The responsibilities and duties section is the most important part of the job description. Here you should outline the functions this position will perform on a regular basis, how the job functions within the organization and who the employee reports to.
- Take customers’ food and drink orders
- Ensure that all orders are accurate and brought to each table in a timely manner
- Suggest appetisers and meals to customers based on the menu and specials
- Work closely with restaurant management to immediately address all customer concerns and create a pleasant dining experience
- Confirm orders with the chefs and bartenders whenever a clarification is requested
- Assist with setting tables and rearranging tables to accommodate larger parties
Restaurant Waiter qualifications and skills
Next, outline the required and preferred skills for your position. This may include education, previous job experience, certifications and technical skills. You may also include soft skills and personality traits that you envision for a successful employee. While it may be tempting to include a long list of skills and requirements, including too many could dissuade qualified candidates from applying. Keep your list of qualifications concise, but provide enough detail with relevant keywords and terms.
- GCSEs or equivalent required
- 2+ years’ Server experience preferred
- Must be able to work on your feet all day
- Strong customer service skills required
- Must have legible handwriting
- Ability to use a restaurant POS software platform a plus