What does a Sales Assistant do?
A Sales Assistant is expected to provide good customer service. They may be asked to answer questions about products or services in the store or online and provide customers with product recommendations. A Sales Assistant may also be asked to promote products that are discounted or new to the store. They may also assist with business operations by maintaining a good inventory of products at the store and ensuring that items are placed on the proper shelves and with product displays. A Sales Assistant is also expected to help keep the store tidy and clean.
Sales Assistant skills and qualifications
A successful Sales Assistant candidate should be able to have several prerequisite skills or qualifications to perform their duties effectively. These include:
- Customer service skills
- Proficiency in using a point of sale system (POS) and inventory management software
- Proficiency in Salesforce platform
- Strong knowledge of MS Office suite
- Knowledge in product promotions
- Ability to conduct effective sales
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work in stressful situations
- Ability to work well with a team
Sales Assistant experience requirements
Sales Assistant candidates should have previous relevant work experience. This may include a former job at a store that sells similar products or products in the same type of industry. For instance, a Sales Assistant candidate applying for a job at a store selling fashion apparel may have previous experience in selling fashion accessories. Similarly, a candidate applying for a job to sell women’s apparel may apply to sell children’s apparel.
Sales Assistant education and training requirements
The ideal Sales Assistant candidate must be able to present relevant educational background and training certifications when applying for a position. This may include:
- A college degree such as Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or related field preferred
- A Level 2 diploma or certificate in Retail Skills
- A minimum of two General Certificates of Secondary Education (GCSEs) at grades 9 to 3 for a level 2 course or the equivalent
- A Level 3 diploma in Retail Skills Sales Professional
- A minimum of four GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 for a level 3 course or the equivalent
- Previous apprenticeship in the industry
Sales Assistant salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average salary for a Sales Assistant is £8.65per hour. However, the starting salary may vary depending on the candidate’s level of experience, the location of the job and the company.
Job description samples for similar positions
It is possible that a Sales Assistant is not quite what your business is looking for. In this case, you may consider hiring for the following related positions: