Store Salesperson job summary
A great job description starts with a compelling summary of the position and its role within your company. Your summary should provide an overview of your company and expectations for the position. Outline the types of activities and responsibilities required for the job so jobseekers can determine if they are qualified, or if the job is a good fit.
Example of a Store Salesperson job summary
Our busy home decor store is seeking a Store Salesperson who will greet customers as they enter our business and assist them in finding the products that meet their needs. The successful candidate will assist with receiving and stocking inventory, as well as maintaining the sales floor. The Sales Associate will also work with the product marketing group to create and set up seasonal displays, and assemble manufacturer sales floor displays. If you have strong customer service skills and a friendly disposition, we want to hear from you.
Store Salesperson responsibilities and duties
The responsibilities and duties section is the most important part of the job description. Here you should outline the functions this position will perform on a regular basis, how the job functions within the organization and who the employee reports to.
- Work with customer service team to enhance and improve customer satisfaction
- Monitor the sales floor to make sure that sales shelves and displays are organised and products are easy to find
- Assist with stocking shelves and removing outdated stock from shelves to be returned to the manufacturer
- Handle customer questions and resolve customer service issues
- Collaborate with sales staff to highlight sales floor promotions or add positive energy to seasonal displays
Store Salesperson qualifications and skills
Next, outline the required and preferred skills for your position. This may include education, previous job experience, certifications and technical skills. You may also include soft skills and personality traits that you envision for a successful employee. While it may be tempting to include a long list of skills and requirements, including too many could dissuade qualified candidates from applying. Keep your list of qualifications concise, but provide enough detail with relevant keywords and terms.
- GCSEs or equivalent required
- 2+ years’ retail experience preferred
- 3+ years’ customer service experience a plus
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds at a time
- Ability to work weekends, evenings and holidays as needed