System Engineer job summary
A great job description starts with a compelling summary of the position and its role within your company. Your summary should provide an overview of your company and expectations for the position. Outline the types of activities and responsibilities required for the job so jobseekers can determine if they are qualified, or if the job is a good fit.
Example of a System Engineer job summary
Our team of motivated and creative people is looking for a system engineer who is excited about meeting the ever-changing needs of our customers. We work with a wide range of businesses, including automobile manufacturers, medical companies and toolmakers, to increase efficiency and uncover hidden costs. In other words, we deal with highly nuanced systems, designing, developing and integrating them from the start of their life cycle to the end. Our systems engineer should have an eye for creating custom solutions and be well-versed in each stage of the systems life cycle. You should have a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering and at least two years of experience and a proven record of collaboration, as you’ll be working with sales, marketing and customer teams.
System Engineer responsibilities and duties
The responsibilities and duties section is the most important part of the job description. Here you should outline the functions this position will perform on a regular basis, how the job functions within the organization and who the employee reports to.
- Develop complex, embedded systems that require knowledge of schematic design, product design, electrical architectural models and prototype testing.
- Think outside of the box to implement innovative and effective solutions.
- Adapt quickly to obstacles and changing demands.
- Evaluate systems and make recommendations for improvements and solutions.
- Talk with customers and understand their needs, communicating the requirements and timeline for their system plan.
- Work with a team to ensure projects are completed effectively and efficiently.
System Engineer qualifications and skills
Next, outline the required and preferred skills for your position. This may include education, previous job experience, certifications and technical skills. You may also include soft skills and personality traits that you envision for a successful employee. While it may be tempting to include a long list of skills and requirements, including too many could dissuade qualified candidates from applying. Keep your list of qualifications concise, but provide enough detail with relevant keywords and terms.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in electrical engineering
- Minimum of two years’ experience in system engineering
- Self-motivated and work well independently
- In-depth knowledge of data structures and ability to analyse data to solve problems
- Organisation and multi-tasking skills that strike a balance among validation/verification, requirements analysis, customer interaction and project oversight
- Flexible and easily adaptable