What does a Web Developer do?
A Web Developer works with software application teams to help achieve the company’s digital goals. They should have strong knowledge of content management platforms and should be able to convert the company’s business needs into a client-focused website to expand the company’s reach and influence in the industry. A Web Developer will work with other developers creating, maintaining and updating a company’s website.
Web Developer skills and qualifications
A successful Web Developer candidate will have various prerequisite skills/qualifications needed for duties such as a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field (Master’s preferred). Some skills include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain close working relationships with business stakeholders and other technologists
- Functional knowledge and coding experience
- Basic knowledge of search engine optimisation (SEO)
- The ability to multitask within the budgets and time constraints set by the company
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills
- An understanding of development approaches and methods
- Knowledge of mobile applications, computer operating systems and web browsers
- Strong analytical skills
Web Developer experience requirements
Web Developers don’t always need industry-specific work experience, but they must be able to demonstrate their web coding capability in organisations of a similar size and complexity. Web Developers should have experience in technologies such as different content management systems (CMS ) and Hypertext Preprocessor (PHP coding). A Web Developer should have one or more years’ of work experience in different coding languages. Additionally, candidates should demonstrate knowledge and experience with network analytics tools and network diagnostics.
Web Developer education and training requirements
Web Developer salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average salary for a Web Developer is £33,167 per year. The salary level will depend on the company, its location and the candidate’s experience.
Job description samples for similar positions
If the Web Developer job description is not what you were looking for, here are samples of other job descriptions to choose from: