Alternative Provision Teaching Assistant
Full job description
Alternative Provision Classroom Assistant
Centre/ Area Manager
Up to £22,000 depending upon qualifications and experience
Days and hours of work:
8-4 full time
Purpose of the Role:
We are looking for a strong and resilient teaching assistant that can step up and take on any obstacles thrown their way.
The role incorporates mentoring and tutoring pupils through the 12-week programme. This is carried out in a range of tasks including leading a tutor group of 4-6 pupils who are struggling in mainstream education due to a range of reasons affecting their emotions and behaviour.
Focused at KS3, you will need to be resilient, confident, and able to communicate well with young pupils. A background in pastoral/SEMH will be advantageous. Work may be carried out in the classroom or outside the main teaching area.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the documenting the journey of their pupils during the project, reporting to parents/carers and mainstream schools, on the emotional, social and wellbeing concerns and progressions of each pupil, keeping the centre manager up to date with all situations.
A good knowledge of safeguarding is required along with the ability to connect and build relationships quickly.
Key Responsibilities (but not limited to):
Support for the Pupils
· Supervise and provide support for pupils, ensuring their safety and access to learning activities
· Assist with the development and implementation of Individual Education / Behaviour Plans and Personal Care programmes
· Establish constructive relationships with pupils and interact with them according to individual needs
· Promote the inclusion and acceptance of all pupils
· Encourage pupils to interact with others and engage in activities led by the teacher
· Set challenging and demanding expectations and promote self-esteem and independence
· Provide feedback to pupils in relation to progress and achievement under guidance of the teachers
Support for the Teacher
· Create and maintain a purposeful, orderly, and supportive environment in accordance with lesson plans and assist with the display of pupils' work
· Use strategies, in liaison with the teachers, to support pupils to achieve learning goals
· Assist with the planning of learning activities
· Monitor pupils' responses to learning activities and accurately record achievement/progress as directed
· Provide detailed and regular feedback to teachers on pupils' achievement, progress, problems etc
· Promote good behaviour, dealing promptly with conflict and incidents in line with established policy and encourage pupils to take responsibility for their own behaviour
· Help to establish constructive relationships with partner schools and parents / carers
· Administer routine tests and undertake routine marking of pupils' work
· Provide clerical / administrative support, for example photocopying, typing, filing, money, administer coursework etc
Support for the Curriculum
· Undertake structured and agreed learning activities / teaching programmes, adjusting activities according to pupil responses
· Undertake programmes linked to local and national learning strategies e.g. literacy, numeracy, KS3, early years, recording achievement and progress and feeding back to the teachers
· Support the use of ICT in learning activities and develop pupils' competence and independence in its use
· Prepare, maintain, and use equipment / resources required to meet the lesson plans/relevant learning activity and assist pupils in their use
Support for the provision
· Be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality, and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person
· Be aware of and support difference and ensure pupils have equal access to opportunities to learn and develop
· Contribute to the overall ethos / work / aims of the provision
· Appreciate and support the role of other professionals
· Attend and participate in relevant meetings as required
· Participate in training and other learning activities and performance development as required
· Assist with the supervision of pupils out of lesson times, including before and after normal curriculum hours and at lunchtime
· Accompany teaching staff and pupils on visits, trips and out of the centre activities as required and take responsibility for a group under the supervision of the teachers
Job title: Alternative Provision Classroom Assistant
Qualifications and experience
· Previous experience of working in a classroom environment.
· Previous work experience in a sporting environment in any capacity, e.g. after-school, youth or sports clubs.
· NVQ 2 Teacher Assistant or equivalent qualification
· First Aid training (ideally paediatric)
· Previous experience of working in a pastoral/SEMH environment.
· Understanding of relevant policies/code of practice and awareness of relevant legislation
· Good knowledge of safeguarding.
· Confident/experience in delivering a group session.
Skills, ability & knowledge
· The ability to work effectively with others as a competent team member.
· Computer literacy/word processing/video/photocopier skills.
· Ability to understand RMF roles and responsibilities.
· Good time management skills.
· Ability to relate well to children and adults.
· Be enthusiastic when delivering sessions to children.
· Excellent Interpersonal skills.
· Good communication, team working and organisational skills.
· Good levels of numeracy and literacy.
· Knowledge of health & safety
· Able to take instructions and willing to learn.
· Able to work on your own or as part of a team.
· Preferably experience in SEN
· Understanding of ADHD, ASD, EDB, SEMH, MLD
Job Types: Temp to perm, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 10 months
Salary: Up to £22,000.00 per year
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Crawley: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- GCSE or equivalent (preferred)
- teaching assistant: 1 year (required)
- United Kingdom (required)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 05/11/2023
Reference ID: Alternative Provision Teaching Assistant Crawley
Expected start date: 13/11/2023