Full job description
[***UPDATE*** SUBMISSIONS FOR THIS VACANCY HAVE NOW CLOSED AND THE DEADLINE HAS NOW PASSED***]. Thank you to everyone who has applied.
LKDL (Love K-Pop Dance London) has an exciting opening for 2x K-POP dance instructors to be added to our roster of teachers.
In order to keep the classes running smoothly and to ensure there is always cover, the Company requires 2x K-Pop dance instructors to teach on an occasional and freelance basis to a class of mixed level abilities or beginners.
The teaching slot for our open classes could fall on either of the following days: Thursdays (7pm - beginners class), Fridays (7pm), Saturdays (4pm and/or 5:30pm) or Sundays (2:30pm and/or 4pm). A good degree of flexibility is preferred where possible by the instructor. Please be aware this is an infrequent teaching position which means there will be weeks where the instructor may not be scheduled to teach and there may be some busy weeks where most of the classes need covering.
It is essential that the applicant is familiar with K-Pop, K-Pop dance and the London K-Pop dance industry and is also an experienced teacher and dancer.
This role may suit someone who already has a full-time or freelance job/other commitments and would like to teach in their spare time on an occasional basis.
There may also be opportunities to teach private workshops when they arise and there may be other dance opportunities too. These are not guaranteed.
LKDL are proud to be the first dance class in London to be recognised by and featured on the timetable of a professional London dance studio since 2018. This was a significant milestone for K-Pop dance in London. Our classes are held at BASE Dance Studios where we hope our students can be inspired and motivated by the incredible dance industry experience of the studio. We care about our students as well as our instructors and want to provide the company class space that welcomes all and feels like a dance home they can return to.
LKDL places an emphasis on teaching excellence. We understand students may feel nervous about dancing (or starting to dance!), especially at a professional dance studio, and we always encourage and invite them to push themselves and really “go for it” just like their K-Idols in their training in a safe space provided for them to learn, in their own time. Most of all we just want everyone to have fun away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life!
ABOUT THE ROLE
JOB TITLE: LKDL K-POP Dance Instructor.
START DATE (TIME-FRAME): February/March/April 2023.
HOURS: There are 6 slots that may need cover. These slots are: Thursdays “beginners only” class (7pm) / Fridays (7pm) / Saturdays (4pm, 5:30pm) or Sundays (2:30pm, 4pm) (dates all agreed in advance).
PAY: A very competitive high industry set fee by dance industry standards for the “open” LKDL classes that feature on the BASE timetable (discussed upon call back).
Instructors are expected to deliver above and beyond for every class in order to meet the requirements of delivering a fun and professional LKDL class experience.
Therefore, the first 3 months is a probationary period.
In the lead-up to their start date, the new dance instructors may be invited to observe some of the current classes. The dance instructor may also be required to teach a trial class or pilot class (paid) as part of their on-boarding.
THE APPLICANT AND ROLE:
Enthusiastic, personable, confident, energetic and vocal with a passion for dance and an appreciation of K-Pop, the Dance Instructor is responsible for leading and teaching a “K-Pop dance” routine, or other routine if applicable such as a “K-Choreo” (cover) routine, to a class of students, to the highest professional teaching standard. The dance instructor will provide a positive, high energy dance workout experience for the students that is both fun and enjoyable as well as a dance “lesson”. The class will feel like a fun, intense workshop.
The Dance Instructor will represent the brand/the “Company” in a professional, positive and responsible manner, working within the guidelines of the Company.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Preparation of class material: preparing for classes in advance, be confident of the dance class material and be able to deliver the class material efficiently and accurately in a structured and timely manner, with counts.
- Preparing a relevant warm-up playlist and ensuring all music is prepared.
- Structuring the classes/workshops effectively in order to give students/customers the best experience for the class they have paid for.
- - Allowing for: learning time, questions, practice time/drilling, opportunity to dance in groups (alternate), clarification, many chances to dance to music, performance and a quick focus on recording/filming the class or groups towards the end of the class.
- - Ensuring the students are comfortable in class (space, switching lines etc, acting on any studio issues and reporting them to a BASE team member and to the Company).
- The dance instructor is responsible for filming class and group videos of their LKDL class, and sending class/workshop/dance job videos/photos across to the Company after the class so that the content can be centralised and sent to the students/customers and posted on the relevant LKDL social media in due course.
- Adhering to any agreement/policies surrounding the Company, studio or venue where the dance instruction takes place.
- Representing the Company as a positive brand ambassador and acting responsibly and respectfully in good faith in the interests of the Company and its business (for example, treating all internal information sensitively and confidentially, and respecting privacy).
- Conducting oneself professionally and being mindful of our student/dance audience due to minors (children and under 18’s) we may have in class when it comes to language (no profanity, lewd and offensive comments). Tactfully teaching & showing minors slightly alternative moves where required depending on the dance content (with regards to any explicit content).
- Reporting any issues to the Company.
- Social Media: tagging LKDL in any relevant posts, active social media presence where possible and promoting their LKDL class for example, “reposting” content tagged by the Company in order to promote your LKDL class. Overall, generally engaging and being mindful of how to conduct oneself online as a professional dance representative.
- An understanding of presenting a positive self-image and on behalf of the Company.
- (when starting the role): an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the Company / services and brand (as communicated on the website) with the ability to confidently answer questions in person from LKDL customers (students) where possible.
ESSENTIAL AND PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS:
- Experience in having taught a class of students previously (at least 1 year’s experience is essential).
- Dance “industry” experience (strongly preferred).
- Dance experience: Advanced level at any dance style.
- Must be able to dance both K-pop “girl group” dances and “boy group” dances and have a fundamental understanding of movement and dance performance.
- Experience with choreographing would also be good for this position.
- A professional, responsible, courteous and confident individual with exceptional time management, organisational skills and communication skills.
- Highly motivated, forward thinking and personable, this individual will have a good ability to establish rapport with customers and interact with lots of different people.
- Effective leadership skills - able to confidently and clearly lead, communicate, encourage and manage a group/class of people.
- Good dance ability with a thorough understanding of movement, counts and music.
- A good ability to act on any constructive feedback and adapt to any changes.
- Very good voice projection is essential.
- Highly competitive industry (dance / fitness) remuneration/compensation for your services.
- The chance to be part of and be represented by a supportive professional company at a renowned industry dance studio.
- Opportunity to teach private K-Pop dance classes on an ad-hoc basis (for further remuneration).
- Opportunity to take some dance classes at BASE Dance Studios for free (subject to availability)
- Opportunity to take other LKDL instructors’ classes for free (subject to availability)
PLACE OF WORK
Base Dance Studios in Vauxhall, London.
- Your Dance CV (headshot must be included).
And at least 6x videos which show a variety of your dance abilities for example: :
- A class you are teaching.
- 1 x “girl group” K-Pop dance cover
- 1 x “boy group” K-Pop dance cover
- A video from a dance class you took
- Any relevant dance industry experience (your participation in a music video for an artist or a live stage performance for example)
- Your own choreography
- Dances showing different dance styles
Feel free to send a link to your showreel and ensure all Youtube links to the videos are set to at least “Unlisted” (not private). The videos must be clear with minimal cuts/edits to best showcase your dancing.
If sending Instagram links, please ensure your profile is set to “public”.
Please include a brief covering note where we would like to understand your reasons for applying to LKDL.
Applications sent through Instagram will not be accepted.
All correspondence is by the job board/email.
DEADLINE: Sunday 12th February 2023 at 11pm.
(Applications received after this date and time will not be accepted).
- Please only submit one application. If you see our job advert elsewhere, please be rest assured that your application has certainly been received.
- Due to the volume of applications, unfortunately only successful candidates will be contacted and invited for an interview. If you have not received a response within 2 weeks of the deadline, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
- All data and information will be held with the strictest confidence and all unsuccessful applications will be deleted after the recruitment process.
- We respect the privacy and confidentiality of all applicants.
- If you have “speculatively” submitted an application to LKDL having enquired about teaching opportunities previously without having seen the job description, you will need to re-submit your application with any other submission requirements for this role and/or reach out to express you are still interested as we understand your circumstances may have changed since.
Regardless of the outcome, we would like to thank you so much in advance for your application and wish you all the best in the future.
About K-Pop Dance
K-Pop dance is the choreography performed by Korean Pop dance artists/groups.
As part of the fandom culture and in tribute to their idols, K-Pop fans learn and “cover” the dance choreographed by top South Korean choreographers as well as top Western choreographers. This is something that is highly encouraged by the K-Pop artists and Entertainment Companies themselves.
The rise of K-Pop dance saw a natural shift to a professional capacity, with K-Pop classes being offered as an alternative to fans learning the dances by themselves at home from the youtube videos. Fans now have the opportunity to dance together in a professional studio environment, much like their favourite K-pop idols.
The K-Pop dance instructor is therefore required to learn the choreography at home from the relevant Youtube video in order to confidently and accurately teach the choreography.
Please visit: www.lovekpopdance.com for more information about LKDL and visit our Instagram page: @lovekpopdancelondon .
Job Type: Freelance
Salary: £35.00-£52.00 per hour
Work Location: One location
Application deadline: 18/02/2023
Reference ID: LKDLQ12023