Full Time Dispenser
Full job description
Job Description: Full Time Dispenser
Location: Branch End Surgery, Main Road, Stocksfield NE43 7LL
Hours: Full Time 37.5 p/w
Responsible to: Practice Manager / Reception Lead
Main purpose of post: To dispense effectively for the registered patient population.
Summary of Main duties: The post holder will project a positive and friendly image and deliver a caring and professional service to patients and other visitors and deal with queries in a professional, courteous and efficient way.
We are looking for a Dispenser to join our friendly team at Branch End Surgery.
This is an interesting and varied role, within a fast paced environment.
As a Dispenser, you will be working in our Dispensary You will be handling telephone enquiries such as medication queries. You will be dealing with tasks associated with the smooth running of our practice, as well as assisting in the preparation, dispensing of prescriptions and assist with stock control, ordering and re-stocking of the dispensary.
Applicants should have experience of working as a dispenser,as part of a team in a busy customer facing environment and be able to handle numerous, often complex queries both over the telephone and in person.
Duties & Responsibilities:
*Dealing with the callers request or queries in an appropriate and polite manner.
*Signpost patients to the correct service.
*Monitor incoming emails and action appropriately
*Actioning patient tasks in a timely manner according to urgency and due date.
*Issuing Stock items and prepare prescriptions
*Collection of prescription charges/checking patient exemption statements
* Operation of efficient stock control appropriate to the needs of the dispensary with the objective of ensuring continuity of supply for patients and minimising wastage.
*Ensuring drugs are received and stored in an appropriate manner in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.
*Ensuring that refrigerated items are stored at the appropriate temperature and maintaining the temperature control log book.
*Cleaning work surfaces and shelving on a regular basis and ensuring that all dispensary equipment is kept clean and in good working order.
*Maintaining full and accurate records of all dispensing transactions.
*Undertaking other reasonable duties within the framework of the post as directed by the Dispensary Lead.
*Dispensing and checking repeat prescriptions
*Taking orders for repeats and dealing with queries from staff.
*Checking with GP's or in patients records if concerned about the appropriateness of requests for medication.
*Dealing with queries from patients regarding their prescriptions
*Ordering drugs using the modem link to wholesalers
*Handling controlled drugs (and keeping register)
*Handling prescription/ Non NHS private work payments
*Assisting when required to meet targets in relation to dispensing doctors scheme
*Assisting in stock checks
*Providing cover for annual leave/sickness
*Opening and Closing the practice in line with procedures
*In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
* In the performance of the duties outlined in this Job Description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential
* Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data.
HEALTH & SAFETY
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the practice Health & Safety Policy, to include:
* Using personal security systems within the workplace according to practice guidelines identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks * Reporting potential risks identified Understand and apply the principles of the cold chain
* Ensure safe storage, rotation and disposal of drugs within area of responsibility
* Know the general principles of first aid and resuscitation to be able to undertake initial actions as appropriate
EQUALITY & DIVERSITY
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
* Acting in a way that recognizes the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
* Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues
* Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
PERSONAL & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
* Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development
* Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work.
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the practice, and will:
* Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk
* Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision
* Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the team’s performance
* Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients’ needs
* Effectively manage own time, workload and resources.
The post-holder should recognize the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
* Communicate effectively with other team members
*Communicate effectively with patients and carers
*Recognise people’s needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly.
CONTRIBUTION TO THE IMPLEMENTATION OF SERVICES
The post-holder will:
- Apply practice policies, standards and guidance
- Discuss with other members of the team how the policies, standards and guidelines will affect own work
- Participate in audit where appropriate.
Person Specification – Dispenser
NVQ level 2 in Pharmacy Service Skills
Proficient computer and keyboard skills GCSE or equivalent in Maths and English NVQ level 3 in Pharmacy Service Skills
Knowledge/experience of Systm1
Knowledge of confidentiality
Experience of delivering an excellent dispensing service to patients in a pressurized environment
Experience in maintaining stock levels and using reordering software.
Experience working under indirect supervision Experience of working in general practice or a care environment
Experience of working within healthcare/General Practice Personal Qualities Good interpersonal skills to build and maintain effective relationships with patients and colleagues.
Able to work calmly under pressure in a busy working environment
Able to communicate clearly and precisely (oral and written), and where there may be barriers to understanding Organised and methodical and the ability to prioritise your own workload Tact, diplomacy and empathy, especially when dealing with anxious patients.
Flexible, enthusiastic, reliable and responsive to change.
Able to work in a team or alone as required
Willingness to undergo education/training for both practice and service needs
Ability to use initiative and common sense
Willingness to work towards professional and performance objectives
Ability to confidently manage own workload and enjoy working to deadlines.
Physical Skills Ability to work for long periods without sitting down.
Other Requirements Full driving licence and own transport
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exeptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formely know as CRB) to check for any previous criminical convictions.
Branch End Surgery is located in Stocksfield, Northumberland and has approximately 5100 patients.
We are a teaching practice and welcome GP registrars, FY2 Doctors and 3rd, 4th and 5th Year medical students
We are open from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, and on a Tuesday morning from 7am.
Staff work flexibly during these hours.
We offer a generous/competitive salary depending on your experience, holiday allowance, and the opportunity to join the NHS pension scheme.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £11.65 per hour
Expected hours: 37.5 per week
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends
- Dispensing: 1 year (required)
- Pharmacy Assistants & Technicians: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 08/09/2023
Reference ID: DispMedRec002