Intercity Bus and Coach Driver (Part Time)
Full job description
Various start dates available.
Ember is the UK's first fully-electric, zero-emission coach company. We launched in October 2020 and are now running two routes – Dundee to Glasgow and Dundee to Edinburgh. We’ll soon be adding others across Scotland. We're a fast growing company, so this is an exciting time to join the future of public transport!
As a driver, you're on the front-line. Not only will you be responsible for keeping the coach moving, you'll be the main point of contact for customers if they have any issues or need help.
You should enjoy working with people and take pride in doing what it takes to deliver a great experience (as well as driving of course). That might mean helping someone with their bags, keeping the coach spick and span or making an effort to say a cheery 'hello' when people board.
We've built lots of new technology to help ensure customers get the best experience possible. That means you'll need to be open to learning new systems and using them in the correct way.
As a small business, we put a lot of trust into our drivers. We expect you to take pride in the work that you do and this will involve light cleaning duties throughout the day to keep our coaches in top condition. We are also evolving fast, so love people that want to give input into how we can do things better and who do this in a thoughtful, constructive way.
You will need to meet these basic requirements:
- Full PCV licence: Category D as a minimum
- Up to date CPC and a digital tachograph card (or able to get both quickly)
- Able to demonstrate high-quality driving, including smooth braking and a commitment to safety
- Flexibility to work early, late or night shifts on any day of the week. In return, we'll try to make these as sociable as possible and agree them well in advance
- Personal transport required. We are based a few miles from Dundee City Centre
- £14.10 per hour starting rate with a guaranteed minimum number of hours per week (overtime likely to be available). Salary will increase in line with your time at Ember to reward those who want to make a long term career.
- Overtime rates starting at 1.2x pay
- Free CPC renewal for full time and part time drivers
- 5.6 weeks paid annual holiday
- Flexible annual leave - request your own holiday dates rather than being assigned them
- Up to 10 days unpaid annual leave for full time drivers (pro rata for part time drivers)
- Up to 20 days paid leave for sickness, jury duty, parental or other unplanned leave (pro rata for part time drivers)
- Established progression paths at a fast-growing company
- Referral scheme - get paid for referring other top drivers to us
- Friendly culture with free snacks, tea and coffee provided
- You'll be driving a state-of-the-art electric coach
- You’ll contribute to a hugely positive environmental impact, with every journey reducing emissions and traffic
We're running a 24/7 service, seven days per week, so you'll need to be able to rotate between a wide variety of shifts. We'll try to make these as sociable as possible and we'll give you five weeks’ notice of what the rota looks like so you have plenty of time to plan. We also frequently have overtime opportunities available at shorter notice.
Get in touch if you think you might be the right fit or learn more about Ember at www.ember.to.
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
Salary: From £14.10 per hour
- Additional leave
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free or subsidised travel
- On-site parking
- Sick pay
- 10 hour shift
- 12 hour shift
- Day shift
- Night shift
- bus/coach driving: 2 years (preferred)
- PCV licence (required)
- digital tacho card (or able to apply for one) (required)
Work Location: In person