Mobile Software Engineer at Mobility Startup
Full job description
We're building the future of public transport — convenient, comfortable, affordable and zero-emission. Our goal is to make it easier to get from A to B with Ember than it is with your own car.
Step one is developing a fully electric, intercity bus network. We launched our first route with two buses in October 2020 and have demonstrated that it's possible to use electric buses very intensively. We're running each one hundreds of miles day and night, with multiple high power charges per day. This leads to a massive reduction in carbon emissions compared to a diesel bus. It's only possible because we're building our own tech, our own charging network and our own way of doing things. On top of all this, our tech gives a much better passenger experience.
But so far we've only done it on a small scale with two routes and ten buses. Now we're ready to scale that up and take things to the next level.
Who we're looking for
- You are driven, smart, and are excited to learn new things.
- You’ll have at least a few years of professional experience. We’re more interested in your ability and motivation than the number of years you’ve been writing software for, but you should have some experience working in a professional tech team.
- Solid experience in mobile app development, either in native languages or using frameworks such as Flutter.
- You’re pragmatic and you value simplicity. You want to be constantly shipping quality code which benefits our customers and our business.
- You’re excited by the idea of making in impact in a small growth company. You’re interested in what the business does and are impatient to get your code running in production.
- You can be in our Edinburgh office at least a few days a week.
Out technology stack
Technology is at our core. Our systems drive everything we do from booking tickets, tracking buses, controlling our chargers, estimating arrival times, monitoring traffic, keeping passengers informed, and more
- Our backend systems are primarily written in Python (Django and FastAPI). Our frontend is in Typescript (React). Swift for our iOS app. The system controlling our on-board experience runs using Android and Flutter
- We use Terraform for our infrastructure. We run CI with automated test suites. We use CD for multiple deployments per day.
- Kafka for stream processing
- And more...
What you will do
We're still very much a startup so your role will be broad. You’ll be joining a small team and likely working across multiple codebases.
Some projects you might be working on:
- Creating a customer app, to make it easier for customers to book tickets and keep up to date.
- Refining the experience and features in our Driver app such as a navigation-first experience, changing passenger tickets in the app, or adding functionality to make pre-use vehicle inspections seamless.
- Automatically working out the best route between stops, so our buses can be routed around traffic slowdowns.
- Improving the experience on our website. That might be adding recurring payments, refining our operations pages, or keeping passengers about temporary stops and roadworks.
Your work will be making a difference to our planet by helping more people travel with zero emissions.
Diversity and equality
At Ember, we encourage equality and diversity among our team, our customers and the public. Diversity and heterogenous thinking are important to us and we want to increase it as we scale up our team. We want every employee to feel respected and able to give their best, whether temporary, part-time or full-time. In addition, we can provide flexible working patterns so just let us know what you need.
You can find our policy online at ember.to/equal-opportunities-policy/
How do I apply?
Send your CV and a cover letter telling us why you're the one. If you have code from projects which you’ve worked on, please send that too.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £50,000.00-£80,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Work from home
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: In person